Thursday, February 23, 2023

Dignity

 


February 9, 2023  
Subject: Dignity 


Dignity, and lack thereof, is a very broad subject, and might mean different things to different people. 
So, there’s no way to touch on every single definition or example of what dignity means in the lives of the weak, disabled, and mentally ill. 

But I have noticed a common thread that runs through their lives - and I’m no expert - but I’ve met and seen a lot of folks like this, and have overheard something, again and again - they struggle to be heard. To really be listened to. To have a real life conversation with a caring fellow human, who treats them with dignity. 
This might entail making an effort, slowing down, taking the time to hear them out, and letting them get their words out. 
Many people with disabilities and/or mental illness really have a hard time communicating and getting their thoughts lined up enough to get to the point of what they’re trying to say, but that doesn’t mean they’re out to lunch, and not worth the time or effort to hear out. 
It just takes them a but longer to find the words.

We need more compassion and caring folks in this cold world, not more medications and drugs, that dull the senses and bring a false sense of comfort. 
People still need real human care and concern and actual human comfort. A hug, perhaps? Someone initiating a conversation with them, on their functioning level - not rushed, not treated with impatience, and obviously, no undermining or trying to “correct” their way of thinking. 

This world has grown so dark and so tragically uncaring and selfish, that it actually shows in everyday human interactions and “conversations”, everywhere I look. 

Mentally ill/different people need a friend who listens and cares - not to be pounded down into a pile of zombified dust, via head meds. 
Meds should not take the place of caring people. 
What on earth is happening to those who cannot compete in the normal way of doing things anymore. Where is the love? 

A plea to all professionals who interact with these folks on a regular basis - doctors, counselors, social workers, those handling the phone communications, and everyone else who still functions normally, in the working world - please slow down, and take a little more time with the ones who test your patience. 

I have encountered this on a personal level, as I get older and have “loose wires” in my head, more and more frequently - and more than a few professionals, cutting me off, being brusk and impatient, wrapping up whatever it was that I was trying to say, in their own words, completely missing the point that I was trying to make. 
My upstairs defeciencies don’t show on the outside, so I usually give professionals a heads up upon first meeting them, to please be patient with me, as forming my thoughts into words in real time doesn’t always go as planned these days. I tend to “short out” when talking while under stress, going blank, dropping the ball. I give my disclaimer up front whenever I think it might be necessary, and that helps. So I’m thinking, how does it go who have real life talking/communication difficulties, but are worse off than me, and unable to speak up and say, hey, can you please slow down a bit, and let me finish talking? 
I’m guessing they’re conversationally bulldozed, and driven further into social withdrawal. 

Hence, this simple image. 

I think it (or messages like it) can be printed out and posted on bulliten boards, break room refrigerators, and all the office spots where helpful memos go. 

People just need to slow down and listen to each other.

God please help and bless us all.